The International Programmes Office (IPO) pairs visiting students with Ghanaian students who are in excellent academic standing and are of good behaviour, as peer partners to enhance cross cultural experiences. The IPO launched this programme in order to ensure that the international students integrate properly in the university and the country at large.
As part of their activities, they go on city and campus tours, and attend events that display our rich Ghanaian culture including weddings, funerals and festivals. They also assist with airport pickup and drop-off, orientations, durbars and the annual International Week celebrations.
Peer partners are carefully selected and interviewed by staff of IPO before they are assigned the role.
Why Peer Partners
The purpose of providing a peer partner is to help welcome the International students and affirm their decision to join the University of Ghana. A peer partner helps to reduce the initial confusion and uncertainty an international student may experience by being available to answer basic questions, facilitate connections, and assist in explaining and navigating the culture.
- Understands and positively contributes to the University of Ghana
- Expresses interest in being a peer partner
- Demonstrates a positive attitude about the university
- Good academic standing (GPA of 3.0 and above )
- Demonstrates good behaviour
- Is well regarded, trusted and respected by others
- Willingness and ability to be accessible to the international student
- Maintains confidentiality
Every peer partner relationship will be unique based on the needs of each person, however, general understanding of your responsibilities and commitment is important to success. General responsibilities include:
- Assist with introductions and connections with others
- Assist with airport pickup and drop-off, orientations, durbars and the annual International Week celebrations
- Act as informational resource on general procedures, norms, day-to-day activities on campus
- Help International students integrate and understand the culture
- Assist with city and campus tours, and attend events that display our rich Ghanaian culture including weddings, funerals and festivals
- Provide the opportunity for international students to experience new things