Consider adding some international to your degree! University of Ghana offers exchange opportunities with approximately 88 partner institutions in more than 22 countries around the globe. An exchange program allows you to attend a university abroad while paying UG tuition and earning credit toward your UG degree.
Why should you consider an exchange? Your time abroad will allow you to:
- Gain in-depth knowledge and experience of another culture;
- Experience your academic subject or worldview through a new lens;
- Challenge yourself by developing flexibility, resilience, and the ability to adapt to new circumstances;
- Develop transnational competencies, cross-cultural communication skills, and analytical skills of value to future employers.
- Enhance your employment opportunities
- Expand your professional horizon
All application deadlines for 2nd semester, -2017 academic year (outgoing exchange) have passed.
The application for outgoing exchange (Fall and/or Winter 2018-2019) will open November 7, 2017. The application deadline is December 2, 2018. Please note that no late applications will be accepted.
Interested in doing an exchange? UG students must have second year standing to apply to go on exchange (typically students do their exchange in their third year of studies), but that doesn’t mean you should wait until then to start doing research and getting prepared! Below we’ve outlined some recommendations that will help set you up for a successful exchange experience.
Meet with your Academic Advisor & check eligibility requirements.
It’s important to meet with your Academic Advisor / Head of Department (HOD) to determine what courses to take during your exchange. Also be sure to view the eligibility requirements so that you can work towards those in your first two years at UG. Generally, the requirement is that students have a 3.0 Overall GPA when they apply, but depending on your program, a higher GPA may be required. You can find this information and more on the exchange application procedures page.
Research UG’s 88+ Partner Institutions
Students often start their research by finding out where they can go on exchange. UG has many exchange agreements with schools all over the world- we call these Partner Institutions. Some factors you may consider while doing your research are:
- The language(s) of instruction
- The school’s academic strengths (some of our partner institutions are world-famous in certain specializations)
- Your travel interests
- The local culture and climate
Be sure to read carefully the partner institution's information to see if there are any restrictions for exchange .For instance some schools only accept undergraduate students, students from certain faculties, etc. This is all indicated on the legend of the Partner Institutions page. The online application will not allow you to apply for institutions that you are not eligible to attend.
Attend Pre-departure orientation
At the sessions, there will be an opportunity to meet with UG students who have just returned from exchange or to meet a representative from a partner institution.
Stay connected with the IPO
Students are selected based on merit to spend a semester or a year at specific partner universities. Individual applications are not accepted in these cases.
Department-Specific Study Abroad Programmes:
- English – Justus Liebig University, Giessen Germany
- Social Work - Malmo University, Sweden
- Business School – Harstad University College
- University of Rochester (specific to departments related to those under the College of Arts, Sciences and Engineering at Rochester), USA
- Simon Fraser University, Canada
- University of Technology, China
- Graduate Institute of Development Studies, Switzerland
- Tufts University, USA
- Soka University, Japan
Students may apply to participate in Partially-Funded Programmes at Carleton, Guelph, Alberta, and Brock Universities in Canada. For more information contact the Outbound Mobility Desk, Room G1.1, Ground Floor, International House.
UG-ISEP Exchange Programme
The University of Ghana and the International Students’ Exchange Programme (ISEP) collaborate in heavily subsidizing an exchange semester or year at one of ISEP's member universities. For a list of member universities check the ISEP website HERE. Students can choose any of the member universities, whether in the US or outside of it.
For detailed application procedure, kindly click HERE.
After your semester or year abroad, your grades will be transferred to the University of Ghana.
Ready to apply? Click Here!